Haiyya is a platform that enables citizens to become leaders who build collective power to create positive change on issues that impact their neighborhoods. Haiyya provides training, information, and toolkits to build non-partisan teams across ages who take ownership over creating behavioral and policy change. Haiyya has tested our model of short-term actions and long-term teams in the classroom and in the field, working with citizens who take ownership for a more just, equal, and united India.
We envision problems in India being solved by a participatory democracy where citizens use their collective leadership and agency to enable good governance and civic morality. Haiyya fulfills this vision through two strategic focuses:
• ORGANIZING: Running campaigns in neighborhoods in Delhi and Mumbai focused on improving sanitation and public safety and building citizen relationships with local government.
• EDUCATING: Building leadership capacity in young citizens to be able to work with others to create positive change in society.
Haiyya is led by Deepti Doshi, a social entrepreneur whose experience in leadership and social change spans across management consulting, executive coaching, social investing, and launching an education venture for low-cost private schools in India. She studied management at Wharton Business School and completed her Master’s in Public Administration at Harvard Kennedy School where she focused on community organizing and civic participation.
About Citizenship Education
Haiyya’s programming on Citizenship Education is within our strategic focus of Educating. Currently, civics and citizenship education in India is highly under-prioritized, making up only one hour of school curriculum per week, and focusing on rote learning and static institutions. We believe that citizenship and citizenship education is a dynamic subject that should focus on participation and active classroom engagement and should building behaviours for India’s future democratic citizens. Through our Citizenship Education programming, we aim to develop 5 Key Competencies in all our Leaders: Communication & Storytelling, building personal Relationships based on commitment to work together on common interests, designing dynamic Structures and teams to enable people to work together, creating Strategy by building a plan from start to finish, and implementing that plan into measurable Action. This was developed based on a model of community organizing developed by Marshall Ganz at the Harvard Kennedy School. These will be inculcated through classroom-based Student Governments to imbibe a democratic and values based education, and Action-Based Citizenship Projects in the community to give students real-world experience in democracy.
As the leading thinker and implementer on Haiyya’s Citizenship Education project, you will have the opportunity to build this program from the ground up. You will research, iterate, test, and rebuild the model for this program, shooting for a full pilot in June and building to scale by 2015. To hit our goals to revamp and democratize citizenship education in India, you will:
• Direct, execute and implement all research on citizenship education in India and globally.
• Think creatively about reshaping citizenship and citizenship curriculum in India based on global best practices and national learnings.
• Develop the project plan for Childhood Citizenship Education, and hold all members accountable to hitting goals and deadlines.
• Develop and manage budgeting for the program in concert with Haiyya’s Operations team.
• Manage all partnerships with organizations and individuals working on citizenship education, nationally and globally.
• Network with school administrators and government officials to develop a nationally-scalable plan for curriculum.
• Develop pitch strategy and material to bring schools in Mumbai and Delhi on board, and manage all pitching processes to relevant schools.
• Build out curriculum in partnership with developers, pilot curriculum in multiple forums, and adapt based on learnings from classrooms.
• Adapt curriculum to fit Haiyya’s community organizing lens, including developing out action-based projects and democratic self-governance structures within the classroom.
• Maintain commitment to impact, including regular assessments of child and classroom progress around parameters that you define.
• Manage the work of the Citizenship Educators and make sure that all volunteers, students, and other stakeholders are being trained and empowered.
• Ensure commitment to long-term goals and values to restructure and democratize Indian education around citizenship, rights, and civic sense.
This position is an opportunity to receive extensive training and simultaneously lead, build, implement, and iterate on a funded and staffed campaign with real-world impact. The professional development and learning in this role will be something Haiyya is personally invested in, and this individual will also be evaluated by and held highly accountable to the goals that he/she helps set at the outset. This position reports to the Founding Director.
• A commitment to the development of others: You believe that we all do better when we all do better, and that a rising tide lifts all boats. Seeing someone else grow into themselves personally and professionally sends a shiver down your spine.
• A passion for education: You have at least 4 years of experience in the field of education, ideally with developing and implementing innovative strategies to empower and excite children about citizenship and learning. You know the challenges in the Indian system of education and civic society, you have new ideas for how to address these in the classroom, and you’re committed to children being active stakeholders in this process.
• Project management skills: you are able to keep track of multiple moving pieces and stakeholders and can make sure that everything falls into place. You will keep us accountable to our goals and deadlines, and maintain a mix between a micro and macro view on all aspects of this project.
• Attention to detail: You think, maybe at times too much, that details are the glue that holds society together. Does an un-dotted “i” or un-crossed “t” freak you out? Us too!
• Entrepreneurial spirit: We want people who are self-drivers and who live for building things. Do you get thrilled (as opposed to petrified) by a blank page or ambiguity because it means you have the freedom to build your own vision? Do you love to test your work andyou’re your hands dirty? Come work with us.
• Desire to learn: If you think you have all the answers, you just haven’t thought hard enough. As an organization we want to be constantly learning, iterating, and making ourselves better. We expect the same of our fellows and will build an extensive and individualized program with you to make sure that you grow and maximize your potential while here.
• “Prophetic Imagination”: When Deepti first said this we thought she was just making up phrases. It was actually coined by a very smart guy named Walter Brueggerman, and means: “a combination of criticality (especially of world’s pain) with hope (experience of the world’s possibility); avoiding being numbed by despair or deluded by optimism.” You have this.
• Cultural competency: Fluency in both Hindi and English is strongly preferred, as is residence in or previous work in India – particularly in the field of education.